Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Workin' 9-5

Well actually 7-3. I was very fortunate to get my job as a sign artist at Trader Joe's here in my hometown of Media, PA. I never thought a full time job existed that would pay me to paint and draw all day long. I am currently working on a new blog specifically for my TJ's signs. The name is still pending. I will be updating that whenever I get some new signs hanging in the store and I am proud enough to share them.

Anyway, this sign fell into the realm of caricature as well. So I am posting it here.

Remain calm everyone, Sir. Strawberry is in charge.



and with the product...


I made this with acrylic and latex paints on masonite board. I then did the line work with a thick Sharpie paint marker. I love how those markers feel. You get a really solid black line with minimal effort. The background could have used some more work, but I do have deadlines to meet. I spent about 6-7 hours on this guy.

This is by far the most fun job I have ever had. For example, I spent the majority of my day today painting two signs of bunnies for easter. Maybe one day they can even make it to the new blog.